Monday 30 April 2012

Green Marrows

Green Marrows or as more commonly found Zucchini, come from the Marrow family.  In Malta, the round ones are the most popular as they are traditionally stuffed with mince meat and baked.  Green Marrows grow in two different seasons, Spring and Autumn.  I find that the Spring variety yields more fruit and I suggest garden novices as myself to start venturing with this wonderful crop. I sow green marrow seeds directly into  the ground about 24 inches apart and 4-6inches deep along the drip line which are roughly 24inches apart too.  I put two seeds in each hole, and in two weeks time they start sprouting.  As soon as the plant grow  approx 10cm ,  I remove the weaker of the two.  Green Marrow plant has huge leaves, and the healthier you keep the leaves the more successful you will be with the fruit.  I do not spray with any pesticides, however, I do sprinkle with yellow powder (kubrit) early in the morning so that it clings to the morning dew, every 15 days.  I am very careful, with powder when the plant has flowers and fruits, so that I do not sprinkle over them.  Be careful not to over water, as when you do so, the marrow grows to a walnut size then it shrinks and dies.
Green Marrows taste best when young and tender, approx golf ball size, however, when they reach the size of a tennis ball, we remove the inner flesh, and fill with a very delicious mince mixture.  We either bake them, or add them to chicken broth.  
Flowers are also edible and very sweet and tasty.  Cut the male ones which are those who do not come out of a fruit.  Usually they have long stem, very easy to handle and prepare. Do leave some attached to the plant  for good pollination.  Fill with ricotta and dip them in tempura batter and then just deep fry in good olive oil.

Recipe Suggestions
Paccheri with Sausage and Spring Vegetables
Tempura Zucchini Flowers with Zesty Ricotta filling 

No comments:

Post a Comment