Wednesday 18 April 2012

Asparagus

I never ever thought that I could grow in my Garden, however I did successfully for 3 consecutive years.  Choose a spot preferably a feet away from a wall facing East, and plant 1 year old seedlings around February. By May you will have tiny shoots coming out, but never be tempted to cut.  Around september you will have bushes of overgrown asparagus leaning over with their weight. The stem is not too hard to bear the bush upright. By the end of September I cut the bushes leaving just 1 inch above the ground and when the rain starts I close the watering drip. 

The next year around March, shoots will start coming out again, but a bigger sacrifice is needed for another year and do not cut any asparagus at all.  You will kill the plant if you are greedy and do so.  Only the third year after you sow the plant you may cut Asparagus.  I do not use fancy gadgets to do so, just a normal knife, and I cut it 1 inch below the soil.   Always leave some asparagus to over grow so that it feeds back the plant.  They say, Asparagus keep for 14 years.... we'll see to that later on!

Suggested Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment