Tuesday 24 April 2012

French Black Bean

It's now April and as I normally do, sow all the beans I have available.  In the Maltese Climate, only the Broad beans are sown in late December, and the rest are sown in mid-Spring.  This year I am trying out this new variety, which I bought from Italy.  It is a climbing bean, with yellow skin and dark purple beans.  It is sown by the first week of April and directly in the ground.  I put about 8 beans in each hole approx 3 inches deep and 12 inches apart.  Like peas, these beans like to grow together and they support each other in strong winds.  I water them regularly and they should flower around May. This is how the plant looks right now, just three weeks after... I will keep you posted later on...

It is the second week of May and the weather turned warm suddenly. The plant is growing very fast and long stems are creeping over each other and so supporting one another.  I can see buds but no flowers yet.  Size is around 30cms in height.

No comments:

Post a Comment