Monday 23 April 2012

Potatoes

Very recently I added this crop in my Kitchen Garden as I have always been warned how delicate it is.  Yet, I discovered that with a little bit of patience and TLC you will be able to dig up these beautiful gems of goodness!
Last year I had the red skin type, and this year I am trying for the red eye variety - Picasso. It is very versatile type as it is good for frying boiling and baking.
The seed comes in a small potato form, each is cut into halves leaving two eyes available, and sown in January along the drip at 12inch apart.
When the plant reaches 20cm I start to sprinkle water for 10 minutes a day in the Morning.  It is now around 30 cm in height and so far it looks very healthy.
It is the second week of May and plant still looks very healthy.  The longer you manage to keep the plant green and healthy the larger your crop will be.  I am sprinkling with water regularly and from time to time I give an extra watering session.  Potatoes are growing and at the moment they are approximately the size of a golf ball.
During the month of June I stopped sprinkling water however I kept the drip open to water regularly.  Plant is growing old and some of them are wilting down.
It is the end of June and all plants are wilted and nearly dead, so we decided to harvest the crop!  Each plant yielded 4 to 5 good sized potatoes roughly one kilo in total.  I placed potatoes in shallow cardboard boxes lined with newspapers and  stored them covered with a piece of rug in a dark place.  I will keep the small once to sow again around mid August.

No comments:

Post a Comment