Wednesday 25 April 2012

Broad Beans


Mid Spring and it is time to harvest my broad beans.
This year I tried two seed variety, one which I bought from UK and another from local market.  Broad beans are very much sought after on this Island and I think what our farmers keep to reproduce is the best for our climate conditions.  Maltese Broad Beans are hardier and resist much better the strong north east winds that hit us from January to March.  

Usually I sow around the second week of December, along the drip line three seeds in a hole approx 6inch deep and 12 inch apart.  My drip lines are 24inches apart.  I do another batch around the first week of January and I admit that I am more successful with the second lot.  The first lot, gives you sweeter beans but it is oftenly attacked by the Bean Broomrape ( Budebbus) which is a kind of weed that grows from underneath and lifts up the plant.  Apart from this and strong winds, you shouldn't worry about anything else. 

Try to harvest your beans when they are small and tender for salads, and you may have them bigger for soups.

I am often tempted to cut the flowers to garnish my salads, they look so pretty.

Recipe Ideas


No comments:

Post a Comment