Tuesday 22 May 2012

Peas

For me, peas are one of the most difficult crops to have, as I live right in front of the sea with  strong Easternly winds that sometimes hit force 9!
Peas need a good shelter and a sunny place to grow, water regularly and nothing much left to do but hope that weather will be kind.
I sow peas twice, once towards the end of December and another time towards the end of January.  I dig a trench approx 6 inches deep along the drip line and I put around 6 peas together aside each drip hole which is roughly 10 inch apart.  I try to put them aside hardy leafy plants such as Artichokes or broccoli  so that they get some shelter. 
Harvest peas when they look plump and fruit looks bulging from the pod.  The tender pea shoots are excellent in salads. Just snip a few with you fingers and ejnoy the delicate sweet pea taste.  If you decide to freeze them, then shell them as quickly as possible and pack them in plastic bags.  Will keep well till next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment