Tuesday 24 July 2012

Onions


Onions are another favourite vegetable in my garden, as they take their process to grow, are resistant to most weathers including gail winds and gushing sea sprays, moreover they keep well for at least three months if stored properly.

Normally I do not sow from seeds, but buy them small from a trusted farmer around the last week of December. I snip off two inches from the tops and sow them in two rows along the drip line approx 20cm apart leaving the water supply in the middle of each row.  Onions are very resistant to viruses or other deseases, and this is the third time I had a successful crop.  Around the second week of July when all tops are dried  and thick auburn bulbs emerge from the ground, I pull them out and arrange them in bunches then hang them in a dry ary place for about three to four weeks.  Then I remove the stalk, and store them in cardboard boxes in a cool dark place.


No comments:

Post a Comment